In hand with the company's vision and continuous efforts to position itself as a prominent player in the development and industrialization of the country, East African Mining Corporation acquired 80% of the Dire Dawa Cement and Lime Factory from the Ethiopian government in 2005 and established National Cement Share Company. The factory which was about 70 years old since it first started production, had a very low production output and was not able to efficiently compete and supply a portion of the huge demand of cement in the country with its very outdated machineries. Therefore most of the old and outdated equipment were replaced by newer and much more efficient cement machineries and the factory is now producing 500 tons of clinker per day. A Further upgrade of the plant to 1000 tons of cement per day is under implementation. Taking into consideration the company’s tremendous achievement and performance within the short period of time after the acquisition, the government agreed to also transfer the remaining 20% share to National Cement in 2010, giving the company total ownership.
NCSC has now commissioned a brand new cement factory with an installed capacity of 3,000 tons of clinker per day at a cost of 1.9 billion birr located at about 2 km from the existing factory. This factory is currently producing and supplying cement both to the local and international market.